Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Airborne Deer Injures Family

Weekly Blog Entry 5

A Minneapolis couple were driving when an oncoming car hit a little buck and the deer became airbore. The deer then went through the windsheild and right on through the back window. The father, who was driving, got several broken bones in his face and the wife in the passenger seat only got a few scatches and bruises. The 17 year old daughter who was in the back seat got a broken cheek bone along with a broken nose. These types of stories are rare but can be very serious.
I have a few friends that have hit deer and done some serious damage to their cars. I hit a deer with my car during the winter time and knocked one side of his rack off. He was a little buck but I slammed on the brakes and jumped out of my car to run after him. I was going to kill him if I would have had a chance. I didn't even care about the car because it was a junker. One of my friends hit a deer with thier crotch rocket going 80 miles per hour and still managed to keep the bike up. He totaled the bike but managed to be lucky enough to get away with a few scratches. The deer was almost split in half after the accident.
I feel that there were less deer accidents this year because there aren't as many deer in the woods anymore. People should still learn to be careful when driving and keep a close eye out for them. The rut is the time when the most deer get hit by cars because the bucks don't think about anything except that doe.
I have heard many stories of people getting seriously injured when hitting deer. I feel that if I was to know I was going to hit a deer I wouldn't even swerve to miss it. Many people end up going into the ditch and ruining their cars more than if they were to hit a deer. I would maybe swerve a little to just hit it in the front fender but not dead on right down the middle. I would try at least to read what the deer was going to do but not go out of my way to damage my car severly.

2 comments:

  1. Dylan- Whenever I leave my house my mom always says, "Watch for deer." I always get so nervous during this time because I never know what I would really do if I did have to swerve or just hit a deer. Deer can really cause bad accidents! Hopefully I don't ever get into that situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dylan,
    So when I was reading this, I started laughing when I read the part about when you were chasing after the deer you hit. I can totally see you doing that haha. Anyway, I also know from experience that deer accidents can be scary and dangerour, but they can also teach drivers many things about driving during the rut.
    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete